Many people choose the convenience of artificial trees. They can come pre-lighted, they can come in white, or you can go retro and get something in silver.
Of course the most retro of all is the live tree. Here are some tips for picking the perfect tree.
1. Make sure you know the height of your ceiling. You’ll need to choose a tree that fits comfortable, allowing for the tree stand, and the tree topper. No need to give the angel a stiff neck.
2. At the tree lot, if you don’t cut it yourself, check the needles on the tree. Very few should fall off of a fresh tree and the needles should be pliable.
3. Trees like Fraser and Noble Fir have shorter needles and may be easier to decorate. But there are many styles to choose from and you should go with what appeals to you most.
4. Look for a tree that has a good amount of space between branches so that you have room for the ornaments to hang straight.
5. When you bring the tree home, if you can put it inside your vehicle. If you must tie it to the top of your vehicle, wrap in an old blanket or tarp and make sure it’s securely tied to your car.
And don’t forget to keep the tree fresh when you bring it into your home. It will last longer and be much more safe if you follow these tips.
Before you bring the tree in, ask the seller to cut off an inch from the base, or do it yourself before you put it in the stand. Make sure the cut is straight so the tree will balance.
Put the three in a stand that will hold at least a gallon of water. The make sure you keep it well watered, assuring that the water level never goes below the base of the tree.
No matter what you’ve heard about addting to tree water, plain water is the best option.
Make sure not to place the tree near a heat source or in direct sunlight.