Here at Historic Occasions I talk about the script I’ve been working on that is closer and closer to completion. But that’s not all we offer.
This spring I’ll be directing Doublewide, Texas, the final mainstage show of CAT Theatre’s 54th Season. Auditions are coming up.
Here’s the official announcement:
CAT Theatre will conduct auditions for Doublewide, Texas by Jessie Jones, Nicholas Hope, and Jamie Wooten (Dixie Swim Club, The Red Velvet Cake Wars) on Sunday, March 11 and Monday, March 12 at 7 pm. Auditions will be held at the theatre at 319 North Wilkinson Road, Henrico.
Doublewide, Texas runs from June 1 through June 16, 2018.
Doublewide, Texas rounds out CAT’s 54th season with this hilarious, fast-paced comedy, where the inhabitants of one of the smallest trailer parks in Texas – four doublewides and a shed – are thrown for a loop when they realize the nearby town of Tugaloo is determined to annex them. Friends, enemies and neighbors realize they’ll have to work together to defeat the encroaching annexation if they – and their way of life – have a snowball’s chance to survive being swallowed up by ‘the big guys.’
Director Mike Fletcher is seeking three men and six women. All actors will be paid. NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY.
The characters are as follows (ages are flexible):
• Joveeta Crumpler (F, 40s) — vivacious and driven, she has had it up to here, having been passed over again for a promotion at work.
• Caprice Crumpler (F, 70s) — Joveeta’s beer swilling, feisty mother who tends not to dress her age.
• Norwayne “Baby” Crumpler (M, 40s) — Joveeta’s good ol’ boy brother who is taking his participation in a womanless beauty pageant way too seriously.
• Big Ethel Satterwhite (F, 50s) — nurse at the Stairway to Heaven Retirement Village. She’s nobody’s fool but a fool at heart.
• Geogia Dean Rudd (F, 40s) — ball of fire, owns a diner, takes in every stray animal she comes across
• Lark Barken (F, early 20s) — baby on the way and down on her luck, looking for a job and a place to stay.
• Haywood Sloggett (M, 70s) — curmudgeon who lives across the road from the Crumplers and loathes their “trailer-trash” ways.
• Lomax Tanner (M, 40s) — officious city manager.
• Starla Pudney (F, 40s) – the mayor’s conniving, high-maintenance wife
Audition sides will be selections from the script. The sides are posted at http://www.cattheatre.com/auditions.